Publisher Freedom Games and developer Halberd Studios announced a release date for pixel metroidvania game 9 Years of Shadows.
9 Years of Shadows is launching on October 10th for Windows PC (via Steam and the Epic Games Store), Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PlayStation 4.
Here’s a new trailer:
Here’s a rundown on 9 Years of Shadows:
For 9 long years, the world has been submerged in the deepest of shadows, robbing every object and living creature of their color. Once a thriving civilization, the people have forgotten the warmth of the sun, the joy of laughter and the promise of a prosperous future.
Many brave souls have tried to venture inside the corrupting depths of Talos Castle, a long-abandoned orphanage from which the curse stemmed, but with each futile attempt, resignation became the daily fare for the people, all hope lost. Except for one person. Armed with little other than her halberd and sheer nerve, Europa’s
End the Curse
Set forth to a life-changing voyage. Take on the role of Europa and brave the amazing halls of Talos Castle as you uncover the disturbing truth of its inhabitants’ fate. A moving coming-of-age tale that stresses the importance of embracing our feelings in order to heal. Embark on a journey of friendship, where Europa and her loyal companion Apino learn to rely on each other to overcome any obstacle and help others along the way.
- Meet memorable and enigmatic characters
- Find the remnants of ancient civilizations
- Enter gateways that speak echoes of the past
Restore the World Through Music
With an entrancing and soothing soundtrack tuned to 432Hz composed by Michiru Yamane (Castlevania Franchise) and Norihiko Hibino (Metal Gear Solid Franchise), healing music plays a major role in both gameplay and narrative.
- Collect musical notes and improve your abilities
- Perform quests for the composers and their orchestra at Teatro Degollado
- Decode enemy attack patterns through music
Master the Elements
Encounter countless foes on the path to victory, each one as impressive as they are deadly. But with the right elemental armor, Europa and Apino are a force to be reckoned with.
- Strategically switch between your elemental armors to gain dominance over the various creatures that lurk in the shadows.
- Harness the power of Poseidon, Gaia, and Helios to solve puzzles as well as gain access to otherwise inaccessible locations to defeat giant bosses in classic Metroidvania fashion.
Explore a Stunning Pixel Art World
Scout the vivid setting of Talos Castle, where colorful characters, awe-striking architecture of ancient peoples, and otherworldly paintings await those courageous enough to seek them. Inside, the enemies that dwell within are as beautiful as they are deadly, a mixture of biological and mechanical parts ready to strike. Explore the map to find treasure, hand-crafted scenery, and ancient secrets worthy of a hero.
- Explore a timeworn mechanical giant shrouded in corruption.
- Battle hidden bosses with an intuitive combat system.
- Scavenge collectibles and dive deeper into Talos’ lore.